Thursday 16 June 2016

The Resident Evil Series: A review

I remember back in 1997 I got my first Resident Evil game for the Playstation. I loved it. Looking back on the original it has made a lot of improvements since then. Graphic (without needing to be said really) have improved but the intricacy of the story has also gotten better.
Each one has gotten progressively more exciting. Although I found Resident Evil 4 a little difficult to contend with, Resident Evil 5 still stands as one of my favourite survival horror games.
Resident Evil 6 was great but I think it was trying just that bit too hard. The multi character stories that allows you to play as several different characters are reminiscent of Resident Evil 2 where you play half the game as Claire Redfield and half as Leon. However, to many cooks in the kitchen as they say. Resident Evil 6 had just one or two too many characters to play as.
That being said it was an exciting games and some of the cinematic cut scenes would have you forget that you were even playing the game. You really wanted to just sit back with the popcorn and watch.
Speaking of movies, Resident Evil has been turned into a movie franchise which has split fans into two base camps. The puritans believe that it is not close enough to the game (Alice?) and others who I guess don't really get the game think that it is better. I for one think the movies pay a very fitting tribute to the games and the survival horror genre in general. The second movie 'apocolypse' was - in this reviewers humble opinion - the best.
Looking forward to what is to come I'm sure there will be many more exciting role play adventures to come, more movies and more debating over which is better.

No comments:

Post a Comment